History

Monaleen is a parish steeped in history.


Door TextInscription engraved over the main door:

“D. O. M.
sub invocatione
B Marie Magdalenae
AD 1873”

which is translated as:
To God, most good, most great
Under the invocation of
Saint Mary Magdalene
AD1873

(Click on the picture for a larger image.)


Dolly Stewart, a local historian wrote “History of Monaleen Castletroy District” about sixty years ago. This book traces the history of our parish from 968 onwards. A copy is available in the Limerick County Library.

Another local historian Thomas Toomey continues to be active in producing the Kilmurry Review, an annual periodical which covers historical events and how they related to our parish. These publications also are available at the Limerick County Library.

In this website we include material directly relevant to the history of our parish. So far there are four elements:

  • Monaleen is part of an Area group of eight neighbouring parishes. The Pastoral Council presented an overview of Monaleen in November 2010 to representatives of these parishes. The slides from the presentation give a summary of the history, geography and community structure of our parish. See Monaleen Parish Overview (PDF).
  • At this meeting one of our parishioners gave an account of how farming in Monaleen has changed over the past fifty years. Here is Liam Ryan’s account. Parishioners will find this up to date account most interesting and informative.
  • In 2000 The Limerick Diocesan Heritage Project prepared histories of all parishes in the diocese. Their Website contains parish details under the following headings :
    • History
    • Churches
    • Graveyards
    • Holy Wells
    • Famous People
    • Townlands
    • Priests of the Parish (Historical List)

    Click here to go to www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Monaleen

  • A document containing some old folklore relating our parish can be found here. It is an extract from ‘The History of Monaleen/Castletroy District’, written by Dolly Stewart c. 1955.

If there are any other parishioners with interesting accounts of the history of Monaleen, we would be very grateful if you would submit them to one of the priests or members of the Parish Council for publication here.


Monaleen Bell

Monaleen Church Bell:

The inscription cast onto the outer rim of the bell is: “The gift of Miss Christina Kelly, AD1880 J Murphy founder Dublin”

(Click on the picture for a larger image.)